Child Dental Benefits Schedule 2014
We offer Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) services only as a non-bulk billed service provider.
- The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) provides financial support for basic dental services for children aged 2–17 years.
- Eligibility for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule: From January 2014, eligible families, teenagers and approved care organizations will receive a letter from the government to confirm eligibility. We cannot assist you with eligibility enquiries.
- Benefits available under the Child Dental Benefits Schedule: In 2014, benefits for basic dental services are capped at $1,000 per child over 2 consecutive calendar years. If you do not use all of your $1,000 benefit in the first year of eligibility, you can use it in the second year if you are still eligible. Any remaining balance will not be carried forward at the end of the second year.
- Benefits will cover a range of services including examinations, x-rays, cleaning, fissure sealing, fillings, root canals and extractions.
- Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and cannot be paid for any services provided in a hospital (dental treatment under general anaesthesia).
How can I use CDBS at Chermside Paediatric Dental Care?
- Inform our staff that you are eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule when making your initial appointment.
- You must bring your Medicare Card with you on the day of your appointment. Without your child’s Medicare details, we cannot offer you treatment under Medicare or provide you with Medicare item numbers.
- You can confirm your child’s eligibility and balance amount by accessing your Medicare online account at my.gov.au or calling the Medicare general enquiries line on 132 011.
- We require your consent prior to providing treatment to your child. Our staff should provide you with CDBS “Non-Bulk” billing patient consent form to fill upon your arrival.
- At the time of the appointment, our dentist must discuss your child’s treatment and any associated costs with you before providing the services. You should contact Medicare for the amount of out-of-pocket expenses for your appointments.
- You must fill in the consent form before any dental treatment can be provided to your child. This form must be filled in every time you come to the practice according to the Medicare guidelines.
- When our dentist has provided the services agreed for your child, you are required to pay the account in full on the day of treatment and then claim the benefit through Medicare afterwards. We do not offer electronic Medicare claiming.
You can submit your claim:
- By downloading the Medicare claim form and posting it to the Department of Human Services, GPO Box 9822 in your capital city, or placing it in the drop-box at one of medicare service centres.
- In person at your local Medicare Service Centre
- By calling 132 011
- Medicare express PLUS app for all smart phones.
- You cannot claim a benefit from CDBS and from your private health fund for the same dental service.